Halo 4 director quits; blames “lack of excitement”
Former Metal Gear Sold 4 producer says he “wasn’t creatively excited anymore”
Halo 4 isn’t scheduled for release until late 2012 but Microsoft have already lost a key member of its development team in director Ryan Payton, who confirmed he has left the company.
The ex-343 Industries man joined the Halo 4 team following his widely acclaimed work as assistant producer on Metal Gear Solid 4.
His decision to leave the company was cited as the result of no longer being “creatively excited” for the project.
Payton has since started up his own games studio, Camouflaj, and has already begun working on two new titles.
“I had a great run at Microsoft,” Payton told Kotaku. “I don’t regret one day of it. But after a few years, there came a point where I wasn’t creatively excited about the project anymore.”
“The Halo I wanted to build was fundamentally different and I don’t think I had built enough credibility to see such a crazy endeavor through,” he added.
His work on Metal Gear Solid 4 updated the series, notably redesigning the often clunky controls, as well as balancing the game and story for international audiences.
“It was all a crash course on AAA game development,” Payton said speaking of his time working on MGS. “It was an experience that prepared me for a big budget, high risk project like Halo.”
Whist his non-disclosure agreement prevents him from talking about his work on Halo 4 in detail, Payton confirmed he was focused on the story and worked closely with Halo franchise director Frank O’Connor and the creative team to develop the Halo universe.
- You really have to be a colossal douchebag to bring a bag of pistachios to a cinema. 1 week ago
- @dumbleberry It was alright, 6/10. I looked past the mediocre lead performance and just enjoyed all of the Han Solo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- Finally had chance to go see Solo, on my own, in an entirely empty screen. At least I can make all the Falcon and Chewie noises I want. 1 week ago
- Not quite the Switch, but I’ll happily take Madden on PC once again! Dearly missed it since 08 and firmly puts the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- Thrilled to be hanging all my E3 hopes on EA delivering a Madden 19 port (and the entire Frostbite engine) for Swit… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 weeks ago
- 1,029 looky-looks.